Monday, July 21, 2008

Respects are never overdue

Incase this is new to anyone, a few weeks back, on Fr. June 26th, Michael Turner passed away after long, enduring battles with cancer.
When I got into comics back in '96/'97, his work was among the artists that got me hooked, Witchblade one of the first comics I ever bought. When the news arrived (2 weeks ago), it felt like an old hero had died. Had I more time, this post would have been up earlier. M. Turner was 37, R.I.P.


Funny story:
Back in graphic design school, a classmate totally ripped off from Michael by copying one of his splashpages and a following page. The class remained angrily silent, knowing the guy would fail the semester were truth be told. A semester later he admitted, the teacher slightly lowered the grade, smiled and said: "Why re-invent the wheel, when others have done it for you? The best way to learn is from the best and you've copied like a master." -He did copy it awfully well.

No comments: